Monday, December 8, 2008

New Orleans Pet Friendly Condos






If you’re an animal lover and have pets of your own (or plan to someday adopt a new family member of the hirsute kind), one thing that it is absolutely imperative to keep at the forefront of your mind when looking for a condo is whether the condo association is pet friendly…or not. I have two dachshunds myself and know firsthand how attached we humans can become to our animals. Nowadays, more and more condo associations are going with a no pet policy, which basically equates to a “look elsewhere” policy for pet owners.

To benefit pet owners, I have researched and highlighted here some pet friendly condos here in New Orleans. I’ll start with 2 in the Uptown/Garden District.

3300 St. Charles Avenue (Commodore Condos) – The pet friendly Commodore Condos are located in Uptown and are known for their safety. St. Charles Avenue is also a prime location, being on the main streetcar line and Mardi Gras parade route. The entire grounds are enclosed by a security gate (allowing even for pet owners to walk their dog at night without leaving a secured area) and have secure parking as well. If I were sending my daughter and her dog to the city for college, this would be the place I would pick.

3915 St. Charles Avenue (Saint Charles Gardens) – Another pet friendly uptown condo, the St. Charles Gardens’ units encloses a central courtyard and a pool. Gated parking, a security guard and a full gym make this another safe New Orleans bet.

760 Magazine Street (Magazine Place Condos) – Switching to the Warehouse District (but not all that far from the two locations above), these condos also feature a central courtyard and are, of course, pet friendly. The rooftop has been converted into a scenic leisure area and the building contains a gym. Located near the museums and just 7 blocks from the French Quarter.

920 Poeyfarre Street (Cotton Mill Condos) – These brick Warehouse District condos host a pool and party room, full gym, inner courtyard, gate, security station and a pet friendly attitude. Interiors have high ceilings and wood floors. A great looking property.

And there are 4 places where you can take your pooches in the city.

2 comments:

ahernandez said...

I have 3 cats myself, and I couldn't be persuaded to part with them.

I see that you focus a lot on the safety features of the condos that you're highlighting. I'm aware of the sensational news reports, but do you really feel Uptown is that dangerous?

Charles M. Baker said...

No, Uptown is not dangerous. Just like any big city, you need to be aware of your surroundings and take common sense precautions. I focused on the safety features of the condos because I imagined myself in the role of a parent buying a condo for one of their children whilst writing this article. I know that safety is always on the mind of a parent when thinking of their children. -CB